I love quickies in the kitchen and this recipe is super fast and easy.
I made this for the first time when we had last minute company coming. I searched through the pantry and found black beans, corn and a little bit of salsa! This combination worked in a pinch and was quite good, but next time I added more fresh ingredients and WOW it was delicious 🙂
I recommend making ahead of time so flavours can develop, adding avocado just before serving.
Here is what you will need:
- 341 ml can of corn (great substitution – cooked fresh or frozen corn)
- 540 ml can black beans (great substitution – prepared dried black beans)
- 1 cup finely copped onion (I used sweet onion)
- 3/4 cup medium to hot salsa (this takes care of the spices for you!)
- 1 fresh avocado (It is personal choice if this is added now or before serving)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup fresh cilantro (I love cilantro so load it up if you like it)
- Juice of one fresh lime (you can add a little zest too for a lime kick)
Pour corn and black beans into colander and wash really well. Leave to drain while preparing the rest of salsa.
In a large bowl mix: beans, corn, salsa, onion, cilantro. You can also add avocado at this point or chop and add just before serving. Once ingredients are all mix together squeeze lime juice over top, mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Another fun way to serve this salsa is to load up some “Scoops” tortilla chips and garnish with sour cream and finely chopped cheese.
Don’t forget to get a nice fresh drink chilling as well!