Crochet Messy Bun Hat Pattern and Video Tutorial

8.0 mm hook
Tapestry Needle
Stitch Marker
1 Skien Loops and Threads Charisma Yarn
Small amount of Cream and Red Charisma Yarn for band

MEASUREMENTS
Preteen to Adult – 20” x 8”

GAUGE
3sc = 1 inch

ADULT MESSY BUN HAT CROCHET PATTERN

*Hat is worked in continuous rounds. Do not join. Use a stitch marker at the beginning of round for easier counting

Using 8 mm hook work 30 sc around hair elastic

Rnd 1: 1 sc in 1st 4 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 4 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (36)

Rnd 2: 1 sc in 1st 5 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 5 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (42)

Rnd 3: 1 sc in 1st 6 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 6 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (48)

Rnd 4:  Sc in 1st and each st around (48)

Repeat Round 4 until hat measures 6”  Note:  This hat stops at mid ear – if you would like it longer just add a few more rounds before continuing to band.

BAND

Change to 6.50 mm hook and cream yarn.

Rnds 1-2:  Sc in 1st and each stitch around.  Drop cream yarn and change to red yarn. (48)

Rnd 3: Sc in 1st and each stitch around.  Cut red yarn and change to cream yarn. (48)

Rnd 4: Sc in 1st and each stitch around.  Fasten off and weave in ends.

Advertisements

78 thoughts on “Crochet Messy Bun Hat Pattern and Video Tutorial

1. Mickie

Great Hat and fun to make. Although I was disappointed when I went to try it on. It was small. Would be great for a teen so this one will go to my niece!
    How do I make it larger for a woman with thick hair? Maybe my stitches were too tight.

2. Alana Montgomery

I made a few of these beautiful hats this winter for myself and family…I must say the pattern and the instructions were so easy to follow! Thank you for the putting this on Pintrest for all to enjoy! Great job can’t wait to see what other patterns you have coming.y

3. Sundown

I don’t have an 8mm hook, I have 6.5 and 10….I’m trying to figure out how I would need to adjust the pattern to use the 6.5. Would adding stitches to the rounds using 8mm hook work?

4. Stephanie Meyer

I love this hat!! I do have one question. How do I make it a little smaller. I have GF that would like one but she has a small head

5. Designing Us

Thank you for stopping by! I love this hat, the colors remind me of a sock monkey (all good I promise! :D). I’m happy to see your video tutorials, I still wouldn’t be able to crochet today if it weren’t for videos, lol.

6. Taylor

Hello! I was wondering if you would be okay with me selling a hat that I made using this pattern (I wouldn’t be selling large scale, most likely no more than one). Someone I know wants me to make her one like yours, but I can’t currently justify spending time on this without getting paid for it. I would, of course, credit you. Thanks!

7. Patricia

The printed pattern and the video tutorial don’t match! The printed pattern starts the increase in the first row and the video does 2 rows on the 30 stitches before increasing on the 3rd row. What did everyone follow?

8. Pingback: Crochet Owl Messy Bun Hat Free Video Tutorial | Craft Idea

9. Nadine

Found the hat easy to make. Great instructions! I found the hat to be quite small, friends that tried it on found it to small! Not sure why! Any idea?

10. Sue

What an awesome video! I’m a beginner and am going to try this! Thank you for taking the time, I learn from watching….you have a great teaching voice by the way! 😃

11. Jen

Great tutorial, easy to follow for a beginner like me. I was wondering how You would start for a regular hat, not a messy bun type. I love the hat but I do not have the hair for it. Thanks for sharing.

1. Carmen

Can you post a short video on how to do this? I’ve just made the messy bun hat , first crochet pattern I’ve attempted 🙂 love it but want to make it with no hole!

12. Barbara James

Please, what does the abbreviation FPDC and BPDC? Have seen it before but can not find a definition for it. Thank you

13. Liz

Thank you so much for sharing your talent. I loved the tutorial very easy to follow. I look forward to seeing get more videos from you. Happy crafting!

Liked by 1 person

14. Michelle C.

Just read that it is found at Michael’s. We do not have a Michael’s close. Can you, or anyone, suggest a comparable alternative?

Thanks! 🙂

15. Pingback: How to Crochet A Bun Hat: Teen – Adult | How To Crochet

16. Pam Buttz

I’ve made three hats from other patterns and they were very confusing, especially when joining. This is so much easier, just use the stitch marker. Your instructions were perfect, love listening to your soft clear voice, and your little one is a cutie! Thank you for sharing!

17. MissFish

I can’t get the “rows” to line up…are all of your rows even? Did I miss that we were to slip stitch? only noticeble when I have changed colors.

1. missfish

Thank you that’s exactly what I meant. I will try to do that. I absolutely love this pattern and the way it fits… thank you for sharing and the video tutorial really helps!!!!

Liked by 1 person

2. Bonnie

This hat is done in a spiral so it’s not going to match up. If you watch her video carefully, you will see that hers don’t match up either. But you will only notice it where you change colors.

Liked by 1 person

18. Lisa

Cant wait to try this!! I needed a new hobby while recovering from major surgery!! I haven’t crocheted in many yrs (25+) but this looks like a fun project!! Thanks for going into detail & keeping it simple!

Liked by 1 person

Would love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s