Looking for an easy crochet rainbow hat for St. Patrick’s Day? This slightly slouchy crochet hat pattern is exactly what you need. Pick your favourite yarn(s), and hanker down in your favourite cozy place for a few hours and voila! You will be done!
Stepping Away from your computer?
This post contains affiliate links. For more information please see my TERMS & DISCLOSURES.
I chose to make this in fun rainbow colours for St. Patrick’s Day using Yarnspirations Caron Cotton Cakes in Calico Flowers.
The Caron Cotton Cakes by Yarnspirations is a great choice of yarn if you are beginner.
- Has some grip which allows for great control over your yarn.
- Benefits of working with cotton but less splitting than with some tradition 100% cotton yarns.
- Large ball is great for many beginner projects.
- Recommended hook size is 5.00 mm NOTE: This pattern calls for a 6.50 mm for body of hat be sure to use the size in pattern NOT the recommended size on yarn.
- This crochet slouchy hat is worked top-down in increasing rounds.
- Colour changes are made every 3 rounds
- Contrast band is made with a smaller sized hook
- This pattern is for an adult
- Downloadable PDF includes 6 sizes Newborn to Adult XL
- This hat can be worked counting rounds or until hat measures 9.5″ – 10″ in length
- Easily shorten or lengthen this hat by working less or more rounds
- For beginners – 2sc in next stitch means you are working 2sc into one stitch. It is these stitches that increase the size of the hat.
- Note: This pattern is written in standard American terms.
Stitches You Need To Know
- ch – chain
- rnd – round
- rpt – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- st – stitch
- sts – stitches
- sl st – slip stitch
Materials You Need To Make It
- 6.50 mm crochet hook for body of hat
- 5.50 mm crochet hook for band at bottom of hat
- Tapestry Needle
- Stitch Markers
- 80-100 g Caron Cotton Cakes yarn – I used Calico Flowers
- Ball weight 8.8 oz / 250 g
- Ball length 530 yrds/ 485 m
- 60% cotton / 40% acrylic
- Medium weight yarn
- Yarn Gauge 4″ x 4″ 14 sc x 17row
- Yarn Scissors
Want to use your own yarn? Check out www.yarnsub.com to see if it is a good substitution.
2″ x 2″ square 7 sc across x 8 rows
21″ x 10″
This hat is worked in continuous rounds. There is no need to join at the end of each round. However, using a stitch marker at the end of each round is recommended for counting – to ensure your hat comes out the correct size.
Before starting your hat – divide your ball of Caron Cotton Cakes into individual balls for each colour. NOTE: You will only need approximately one of each colour so DO NOT divide the entire skien.
Change colours every three rounds as below. Once you reach the band choose any colour you would like to stand out a bit more.
- Green (3 rounds)
- Blue (3 rounds)
- Purple (3 rounds)
- Red (3 rounds)
- Yellow (3 rounds)
For Easy Crochet Hat Pattern for Adult
Using 6.50 mm hook, Ch 2
Rnd 1: Work 6 sc in 2nd st from hook. (6)
Rnd 2: 2 sc in 1st st and each st around (12)
Rnd 3: 1 sc in 1st st *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (18)
Change to colour
Rnd 4: 1 sc in 1st 2 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 2 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (24)
Rnd 5: 1 sc in 1st 3 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 3 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (30)
Rnd 6: 1 sc in 1st 4 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 4 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (36)
Change to colour
Rnd 7: 1 sc in 1st 5 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 5 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (42)
Rnd 8: 1 sc in 1st 6 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 6 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (48)
Rnd 9: 1 sc in 1st 7 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 7 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (54)
Change to colour
Rnd 10: 1 sc in 1st 8 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 8 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (60)
Rnd 11: 1 sc in 1st 9 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 9 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (66)
Rnd 12: 1 sc in 1st 10 sts *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 10 sts* rpt from * to * till end of rnd (72)
Continue to change colours every three rounds
Rnds 13 – 34: Sc in 1st st and each st around. (72)
Change to 5.50 mm hook
Change to colour of your choice for contrast band
Rnds 35 – 44: Sc in 1st st and each st around. (72)